Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Can we survive school vacation? Chapter 1

It's school vacation in Massachusetts.

The Good: 5 days without crazy mad dashes to get kids dressed, fed and back-packed off to school

The Bad: that's 5 days of 24-7 team mom vs. the more numerous and energetic team kids

The Ugly: 
see above

Truly I have been excited for a more relaxed week and the kids and I made a list...actually Jack made a list of fun adventures we can have each day.  It is a pretty good list.  Good thing because in a moment of inspiration (perhaps stupidity is a better word) I announced to the kids that school vacation was going to be tv free except for movie night.  Wish us luck.

Day 1:  Boston Marathon
Patriots Day is perhaps the best day of the year for Bostonians.  Historical re-enactments of the battles at Lexington and Concord, parades, and the world famous Boston Marathon make for plenty of good entertainment options.  Although it was crazy hot this year ( I don't know how the runners did it), I was totally moved by the sheer determination of the athletes and the thousands of supportors who come out every year to cheer people on for the entire 26.2 miles!  Love Boston.

Chad had to stay home and work.  I didn't want to juggle all three kids and my big camera so I just brought my little point and shoot...and used it pretty lazily.  But I did manage to take a few pictures.

the wheel chair racers are my favorite

Jack cheered like crazy for the first 5 minutes of the race.  Then he sought refuge from the heat up in a tree for the next hour and a half.

Lucy enjoyed people watching...and eating bubbles
We spent the evening at a friend's house for a BBQ where the food was delicious and the company was even better.