A few days before Christmas I realized that Marian probably had no idea what was going to happen Christmas morning. Jack was BOUNCING OFF THE WALLS desperate for Santa to come and asking "Santa questions" about every five minutes but Marian seemed pretty clueless. So after I had dropped Jack off for preschool I decided I should fill Marian in on Christmas morning. I looked in the rear-view mirror and told her that in a few days Santa was going to bring presents. "Not the REAL Santa?" she asked desperately. I should mention that a "Santa" showed up at our Church Christmas party and Marian was basically terrified. I guess the idea of that man showing up at our house was pretty frightening.
So I decided I would try honesty. "Don't worry," I said. "Mommy and Daddy are the real Santa anyway."
"Oh Good. So mommy and daddy give me presents?"
"Yep"
"Thanks mom" Marian says with pure relief.
Assuming she doesn't remember this conversation next year. I'd say honesty really is the best policy.