Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Confessions of a beginning seamstress...ROBBY- Don't read this!

I would like to be a competent seamstress someday. I don't want to make Marian's wedding dress someday or anything that intense, but when my kids come home from school and say they have to give a report on Medieval times I'd like to be able to whip up some cool costume for them to wear, or make them fun little quilts. Maybe a decorative pillow or curtain here or there...stuff like that and have them actually look good. I've tried a few of these a fore mentioned projects and they have turned out okay. I'm getting better at every try. My younger brother just turned 12 and he is a CRAZY BYU fan GO COUGS so I thought I would be a cool sister and make him a BYU pillowcase. I ordered the fabric, made up my own pattern (after analyzing Jack's pillowcase), and started cutting, pinning and sewing. As I was sewing I realized that the pillow case was actually going to turn out. I started thinking, "this is so cool, I should post this on my blog." I got cocky. I realize this is a SUPER EASY project. and nothing to brag about, but I was thinking I just might. I finished it up, put a pillow inside it to make sure it fit...it fit PERFECTLY. It looked really good. I know it's just a pillowcase, but this is a high quality pillowcase made with love. By far my best work yet. Not that that's saying much but I was feeling so darn proud of myself. Then I looked closer. I invite you to look closer too.


For those of you who notice right away what I didn't, even after more than an hour of cutting and sewing, congratulations. I wish you'd been here an hour ago. For those of you who can't see what I did wrong (if there are any of you) I sewed it with the pattern going to wrong way.


How did I miss that? A competent seamstress would have thought of that. I'm not giving up.

I'm still going to send it. I might suggest a couple of things to Robby.

1: This is actually cool because as you lie in bed, with your head turned to the side, you can read your Cougars insignia and logo perfectly.

2: Come Halloween, you've got the perfect trick-or-treating pillowcase.