
Just look at my dad...is he cute or what? He looks SO happy in this picture because he was recording his stories for a CD that was just released called
"The Hometown Weekly". His fictional stories are about people who live in a small town in Utah called "Parley Grove". If you know Garrison Keillor, it's like Lake Woebegone...small town Utah style. Apparently my dad has been writing these stories for years...without anyone knowing it. I guess my mom must have known...but no one...not even my mom had read or heard the stories until just a few years ago. Biased I may be, but the stories are great! Funny...very funny and sentimental too. If you get the chance, my favorite story is "Beautiful Women". It's a story about this woman who as a young girl started out beautiful charming and adored...but then she grew into a very plain, and unattractive girl. Her mother died when she was young so she had to work hard to take care of her brothers and father. When she finally is able to move away on her own she works as a hotel clerk during WWII and nobody pays attention to her. But one day she meets this soldier...just passing through who notices her, and seems to like her, even takes her to the movies. She is elated! He leaves for war the next day but leaves her his address and tells her to write. She does, and then waits and waits and waits...and (SPOILER ALERT) she never hears anything! And you never find out why...Dad, I'll be honest I love your stories...but tell me, why didn't the soldier ever write? Was he playing her? Did he die? Anyway, I've already asked my dad, he says he "doesn't know" I hate that answer. Anyway the stories are fabulous and I'm super proud of my dad for following his dream.